JAPA

 

I was sold a dream of riches,  of streets paved with gold,
 of the immigrants dreams
My streets became too small for me, 
My friends steeping stones for this quest to this el-Dorado
So I stole, lied, cheated scrimped and saved , to be insta-ready and tik-tok cool
Japa was my dream
The whispers came in bits and pieces
Of  the dysfunctional relationships of the  Japarians who killed their spouses
Affected by the alienation of affection, subjugated patriarchy,
Of the  men who could not speak 
and  women who had grown wings
I had known  of the toilet cleaners and mortuary attendants,
urban legends, not my portion

My path would be different, or so I thought
But I saw then the cold eyes beneath the cold smiles
The  repressed anger from my distant kin
The zombied streets full of the living dead
The streets paved with work , taxes and debt
The more I aged, the less I saw, the more I worked
My friends who I left behind had grown up in the hole
And thrived,  their eyes full of  ease with life, 
They ruled the hole, happy fools
Who drank on Saturdays, fornicated with PYTs,  danced in church on Sundays
and watched their children grow
I  remain  supplanted in Japa Land 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibrahim Indimi was at CAN Centre and Dalori IDP_Camps

Ennui

Rizpah