Ghost from the Past

 I wanted to be your friend at twelve

because we had been friends at  five

but life has changed, 

i was  poor 

while you had the best

I wanted to be your friend at fifteen because we were friends at five

but you laughed at me

I thought you laughed with me

till you drove your tyre over my leg

I gasped as i hurt  but you smiled and drove away

i knew i could never be your friend

I saw you when we were older

you with your charmed life

working in the big yellow firm

mother luck had smiled at me

and gave me something worthwhile

you looked at me and saw me I still wasn't much

the years had passed and we had both left the arid plains of Borno

and planted ourselves into the prosperity of Abuja

I didn't need to be your friend anymore..I shrugged you away after our little meet

but the tyre on my feet stuck in my mind,  you still haunted me

I met you again after some years, you were fat , short and sad..you had seen me as I waited 

impatiently at the aisle, 

I had no car key dangling in my hand,

I had no ring on my finger

you wanted to judge but you could see traces that I had what you had

I looked at you as you slinked into yourself

and my eyes dead as if you were a ghost...and walked away without a word

then I knew one ghost from my past had stopped its haunt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibrahim Indimi was at CAN Centre and Dalori IDP_Camps

Ennui

Rizpah