Baba Iyashi

 Baba Iyashi

Patron saint of the hungry school girls

What force of nature made you to be kind

to a girl so forsaken?

the little, lost, scrawny and forsaken girl

who was perpetually hungry

Baba Iyashi, 

the Damaturu cobbler, silent and kind

who sat mustached amidst the kitchen halls

what made you care, in a world where evil is the currency

Baba Iyashi, between my bouts of peace and despair, I dream of repaying you

and  driving through the streets of Damaturu

and walking through those school halls that conquered me

to thank you

and reward you for those years

In my mind, I believe I will meet you there, cobbler with your white thread between your lips

focused intently on your chore

and show you my gratitude 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibrahim Indimi was at CAN Centre and Dalori IDP_Camps

Vox et praeterea nihil.

Circle