June in Abuja

 We lay nestled between your mountanious mounds

the June morning is dreamy, foggy and rainy

lulling us to satied safety and manufactured peace

From my gilded cage I peek and see signs of life, 

below me fly a formation of herons, above them 

fly a group of blackbirds, chirping  at the rain

I hear the violent sound of the generator cuddled to a hum by the sound proof-glass

I see below me a clean tarmac and a well cut lawn

the painstaking submissions of the hordes of the invisble, who

tiptoe around us like ghosts, catering to our needs for order, 

masters of  hiding the chaos.

Across my indentured castle I see the high-rise buildings that look snootily below,

at the seamless passage of life, life passes, cars pass, 

each with tales   sorrows, fears, victories, lies,

 tears,

 transiting to life, transiting to death,

Abuja, the land of more, the land of less, 

A valley of contradictions of hopes and despair, 

of life and death, of excesses and of want

This is June in Abuja 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibrahim Indimi was at CAN Centre and Dalori IDP_Camps

Vox et praeterea nihil.

Circle