Travel

Seven months pregnant, off a long-haul flight, 
mourning  my father, invitro my child was sick, with a hole in his heart;
I arrive at the hotel in Dublin, the Polish receptionist says I can't stay
even with a booking
with my Mastercard
with my cash,
I can only stay the night,
Penang is hot, with friendly faces
here I wear my skin in comfort
I don't stick out like a stain,
Dubai is full of shops, 
no one cares, I shop till I drop,
with my first, in vitro,
my second (in vitro)
my third at six months,
I think we got Covid, because we coughed and coughed,
Turkiye like the Muslim states welcomed me, 
I ate roasted chestnuts and got lost in the Grand Bazaar,
with shops that sold the same things
with shopkeepers who looked like Arab princes
and shop boys who knew all the tricks
Ghana was hot and sane
till they heard you speak, 
their eyes narrow
because you are a Nigerian,
Saw the Elimina Beach and rubber plantation
where the trees swayed like slender dancers in nature's mysterious song
Abidjan had the worse guards, who were callous and wild
and robbed you blind
Maradi was hot and poor,
the lights flicker in perputally low
Togo with its sand beaches
and everyone on motor-bikes
easy going and clean
Port Harcourt  was non-chalant and cold
Illorin, the home of aggressive beggars and slothful men
who wore their white jalabiyas and strutted on the streets, 
while the women worked and worked
Lagos is a hustle, every one a thief,
you keep your bags close and mouth shut
Home is peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibrahim Indimi was at CAN Centre and Dalori IDP_Camps

Ennui

Rizpah